Wednesday, October 4

The Story of Jephthah

I was reading Hebrews 11 again and was looking through the 'faith roll'. David, Samuel, Gideon etc etc but when I stumbled across the name Jephthah, I started to wonder who this guy really was and what he did.

Read the story of Jephthah in Judges. Interesting story but what really struck me was the vow that he made to the Lord. He made a vow to the Lord: that in return for victory over his enemies, he would give the first thing that came out of his house (when he went home after battle) to the Lord as a sacrifice.

Lo and behold, the first thing/person that came out was Jephthah's ONLY daughter.

Somehow this story just rings in my mind. Frankly it's a hard one to swallow. There are many lessons in the story, but I won't go on to it.

It's just something in that story that I can identify with:
a) Keeping vows and being responsible for what I say.
b) The people I care for.

very very very sobering story...

No comments: